HeartKids is supported in this funding scheme by HCF Foundation. Our most recent round of funding for Project Grants was completed in early 2011. We have funded the following projects:
2011 Research Projects Grants
Dr Nadine Kasparian
Parental response to fetal or postnatal diagnosis of congenital heart disease and subsequent infant developmental outcomes: A unique test of the fetal programming hypothesis.
Clinical research – $300,000 over 3 years.
Dr Gavin Lambert
Improving long term survival in patients with a single heart ventricle.
Clinical research – $128,332 over 2 years.
Dr Christian Brizard
Autologous cord blood stem cell transplantation to enhance right ventricular function during palliative surgery for hypoplastic left heart syndrome; clinical proof of concept study.
Clinical research and biomedical – $171,668 over 2 years.
Major previous projects that have been funded (2007-2010) include:
- Genetic Determinants of Congenital Heart Disease – Ass Prof David Winlaw – Heart Centre for Children – the Children’s Hospital Westmead – $300,000
- Clinical study of remote ischaemic preconditioning – Dr Michael Cheung – Dept of Cardiology – Royal Children’s Hospital – $350,000
- Project GECHO – Ass Prof Jonanthan Carapetis – Menzies School of Health
- Cardiomyopathy Study – Prof Rob Weintraub – Royal Children’s Hosptial
- The White Paper: Childhood Heart Disease in Australia – Current Practices and Future needs – Professor Sandra Leggat, La Trobe University. Click here to read