We started in 1984 as a parent support group called Heart to Heart Cardiac Support Group. This was a voluntary organisation providing help and support to parents of HeartKids. In 2004 we employed our first State Manager along with a Family Support Coordinator at The Prince Charles Hospital, after becoming HeartKids Qld. At this time, we broadened our charter to not only provide support to heartkids and their families, but also to create awareness of Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) in the community, advocate for the delivery of better services for heart kids, and to undertake research into the causes of CHD (this function is performed by HeartKids Australia on a national level, by pooling our funds and resources).
Here are some of our achievements over the years.
- 2006: First Consumer group asked to participate in a Government Taskforce to provide solutions in regards to Childhood Heart Disease (CHD) in Queensland.
- 2006: Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Qld Health which clearly states our rights and obligations with The Prince Charles Hospital. This has been a work in progress project since April of this year.
- 2007: Became a member of HeartKids Australia.
- 2007: Establishment of Kidz4Heartkidz to support HeartKids and their siblings.
- 2007: Establishment of ACHS to service the needs of HeartKids as they grow up.
- 2008: Moved from The Prince Charles Hospital to the Mater Childrens Hospital.
- 2008: Official Opening of the new Pediatric Cardiac Ward at the Mater Childrens Hospital
- 2008: Signed Memorandum of Understanding with Mater Childrens Hospital.
- 2009: Updated the “Dates and Doses” Health Diary to assist HeartKids and their family with their medical needs was made available for free with the help of “The Good Guys” of Robina and Bundall.
- 2009: Purchased much needed equipment for the Children’s Cardiac Ward at the Mater Children’s Hospital with the assistance of Platinum Partners “The Good Guys” Robina, Kawana Waters, Brisbane Metro and United Way.
- 2011: Launched Parent Care Bag program, providing essential items for parents whom are often rushed to hospital with their child, with little or no notice. Approximately 400 bags are distributed each year.
- 2011: Launched regional clinics in Townsville, Toowoomba, and Mackay. This program is in conjunction with the Queensland Paediatric Cardiac Service which sees a Cardiologist, Clinical Nurse, and Family Support Manager attending a regional hospital to see HeartKids.
- 2011: Launched HeartBeads program
- 2012 Partnership with Brisbane Broncos
- 2012: Launched a First Aid Awareness program, in conjunction with Queensland Ambulance Service, delivering first aid training to HeartKid parents or families.
- 2012: Appointed an additional Family Support Coordinator to expand our in-hospital support to 5 days per week, from 3 days per week.
- 2012: Held our first ever Family Camp, providing CHD families with an opportunity to have fun and give some of our kids the chance to do things they may not get to do in their everyday lives
- 2012 Hosted the Hearts and Minds Educational Day with presenters from around the country delivering the latest in research and treatment
- 2013: Hosted the first Regional Family Camp
- 2013: Young Hearts Group ; a support group dedicated to meeting the needs of the over 18 CHD community
- 2013: HeartKids Dads Group; a group for CHD dads with the motto ” Dads helping Dads help their families”
- 2013: Heartkids Queensland helped to fund Research projects through the Grants in Aid program
- 2013: Established Regional Support groups in Rockhampton and Mackay
- 2013: Ward 8 East Playroom makeover
- 2013: HeartKids Queensland Television Commercial produced and aired.
- 2014: HeartKids Queensland commemorates 30 Years of support.